This is an amazing recipe that I have made many times. The trick is to buy your zucchini noodles already spiralized. Sprouts and Whole Foods have them. Add shrimp, chicken, or plant-based crumbles.
- 4 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + ¼ c vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 to 4 cloves)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like the pasta
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped, see note (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving, see notes for alternatives
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn into piece
- PREPARE ZUCCHINI NOODLES ONLY COOK NOODLES FOR 5-7 MINUTES
- Add olive oil, garlic, and the red pepper flakes to a large, deep skillet. Turn to medium heat. When the oil bubbles around the garlic, add the zucchini noodles.
- Toss the noodles with pasta tongs and cook until al dente — they should be wilted but still have a crunch; 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the noodles cook any longer, or else they will become mushy. As they cook, keep tossing so that all the zucchini noodles have a chance to hit the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese, and then cook for one minute. Use pasta tongs to transfer the noodles, tomatoes, and basil to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.